Wednesday 17 April 2013

Bombshells in Berets

A recent charity shop suitcase purchase exceeded all expectations when upon opening it, we discovered a beret was inside the suitcase! It is in good condition and appears to be French made. A quick online search revealed the different ways in which berets have been styled over some of my favourite eras. I was inspired and vowed to encorporate it into my wardrobe. Despite the summer supposedly being around the corner, a beret will be a trusty tool to keep my set in place when battling against Brighton's sea breeze.


 
I love this androgynous thirties look by Marlene Dietrich. You can only imagine just how different and forward thinking this must have looked compared to the trends of the thirties. The beret adds a hint of allure and sophistication.

Some beret looks from my favourite eras, the forties and fifties can be seen below...


Nina Foch- I would love to emulate this style with a loose set or just pin curls


Lorelei (Marilyn Monroe) and Dorothy (Jane Russel) work two different beret styles in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I love the jaunty, inoccence of Lorelei's beret but Dorothy's padded beret not only suits her hairline but gives a subtle clue towards the contrast in characters of Lorelei and Dorothy.


Some red lipstick, a pout and tilt of the beret gives a sultry stare just like that of Lauren Bacall. The beret really is that cherry of top to give a seductive stare from underneath.

Hannah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think! I will try to answer any questions as soon as possible. Hannah x